A sewing blog about building a functional, cohesive handmade wardrobe, one garment at a time.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Moss, modified

I did not know that April had been declared Moss Making Month, so it was a happy accident that I sewed my second Moss skirt a couple weeks ago.  Coming off of my first, too-big Moss, I decided to size down.  Since I had taken the other, initially size 12, Moss in a whole inch on each side, I cut an 8 this time.  I had my doubts about that - I haven't been an 8 since, like, junior high school - and it turns out those doubts were well-founded.  The skirt was way too tight - like Mariah Carey tight.


My husband insisted that it looked good (wink wink, of course he did), but there was no way I was going out in public like that.

What to do?  I took off the waistband and added a wedge of fabric in between the front and back skirt pieces on each side.



Being wider at the bottom than the top, the wedge gave the skirt an a-line shape, and I like it.



I used a navy and white pinstriped stretch cotton from Fabric Mart.  While I love the pinstripes, the fabric itself is quite thin and crisp, causing it to crumple like an empty bag of potato chips.  The interfacing at the waistband and fly also completely bubbled up after just two washes.  I guess it's time to find an alternative to Pellon (though sadly, I still have half a bolt of the stuff in my sewing room!).  Any recommendations?



I decided not to face the hem band for no reason other than laziness (since I had to cut out new hem bands after adding my side-wedges).  Instead I used some 1.5" chevron twill ribbon to face the hem.  I think it is adorable, though it causes the hem to not be stretchy when the rest of the skirt is stretchy.  That is kind of a "duh" revelation, but nevertheless one that I had not considered ahead of time.


Rumply fabric, bubbly fly and firm hem notwithstanding, this is exactly the kind of skirt I would buy in a store, and I may keep the side-wedges on future iterations.  Though I will have to think carefully about sizing again on the next one - it seems that the stretchiness of the fabrics I have chosen thus far make a big difference in the size I should cut.  

In any case, I love this pattern.

10 comments:

  1. Haha! You made me laugh about the "Mariah Carey tight" :) And Despite everything I like the skirt! I do like the side wedges a lot. And now I need to buy that pattern too, cause it looks great and you like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the skirt, too! The hem facing and the 90 degree turn of the stripes in the wedge really adds to the look.

    Mariah Carey reference made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Mariah Carey tight" - I have to remember that one and use it. I love the skirt. I love the shape and that is such a a great idea for the hem facing. I actually after sewing lots of things just sewed my first item with hem facing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great skirt! I think you may have actually improved the pattern with that little wedge piece! It looks fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband's opinions on sewing creations are always risky in my home, or risque depending on the garment I guess! So I completely understand when you say your husband approved :) Mine approved the shortened version of the Moss but if I ever hope to wear one without leggings I am going to have to make that lengthened version too! Having fun following along with your sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the short one looks cute on those with the legs for it - sadly, I am not one of them!

      Delete
  6. It's a really cute skirt. I like the pinstripes and your unintended modifications look like intentional piecing.

    I still have some Pellon to use up, too, but I have started using the professional interfacing from "Fashion Sewing Supply". Since it comes quite wide, I believe it is actually cheaper per yard. Anyway, I've tried several different weights and have been really happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I will have to check out Fashion Sewing Supply!

      Delete

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!