I was pretty well prepared for the blizzard that hit us this weekend - we had food, water, gas in the car and the snowblower, rock salt and a new shovel. But just as the snow began to start on Friday afternoon, I realized that my kids were a little lacking in layers to wear under their brand-new snow pants. So I sewed three pairs of leggings and three pairs of socks from some stashed polyester fleece.
The pattern is, of course, my beloved Playtime Leggings. I sewed a size 5 with the length of a 7 for Natasha (and they are just barely long enough!) and a slightly lengthened 6 for Zoia.
Gabriel's were a size 5 with a 1/2" seam allowance as I had pulled out my larger size range and was trying to save time.
I noticed that the rise is a little short when layered over tights (which blew my mind, because the rise on this pattern has always seemed really long to me - but maybe that is a feature of the smaller size range, for increased room over diapers). - so when I make more of these for next winter I will add an inch or so.
I drew my own pattern for the socks - the pattern piece is just an oblong for the bottom of the foot, and two rectangles with one rounded end for the front and the back. They sew up very quickly and kept the kids' feet warm through hours of playing in the snow.
And there was a lot of snow. We got at least two feet. The snowplow is stuck in it right outside my driveway as I type this.
That is my husband operating the snowblower! He is walking really, really well now. His left hand is not doing much, but it is really not obvious to the casual observer that there is anything wrong with him. He will be returning to work part-time next week, which is both hugely exciting and a tiny bit scary.
They are calling for temperatures well above freezing in a few days, so all this snow will be gone by next week. It is going to be a slushy mess!